Friday, November 6, 2009

This Is What 68 Cents Will Buy You

(click to make larger)

Posted by Stace

I did my last Harris Teeter triples stop today. Due to the kindness of a friend, I received two extra Red Plums so I took just the coupons for dirt cheap items and worked the coupon magic. How can you get extra coupon fliers other than beg family and friends? Ask your mailman to drop any extras at your house. They are, apparently, quite happy to unload the extras they have in their trucks.


The grand total was supposed to be $24.74. What did I pay? 68 cents. That's a savings a little over 97%! My best shopping trip to date.

Now honestly, by my calculations, it should have been close to $1.20 but for whatever reason, the computer gave me the overage on the brownies. It shouldn't have, but it did. The brownies were on sale for 94 cents a piece and my 40 cent coupon would have been worth $1.20. The computer should have adjusted for that 26 cents but didn't. I just looked back at yesterday's receipt when I had bought a box and it did the same thing yesterday. Apparently this is a money maker item! It shouldn't be but hey, let's not question it, shall we?

Here is the grand total breakdown:


--Pillsbury Brownie Mix: $1.89. Sale 94 cents. Coupon for 40 cents tripled to $1.20. Computer gave me the 26 cents overage . Did this twice. Final: Bought two boxes and I got paid 52 cents.

--Martha White Muffins: $1.18. Sale BOGO. Coupon for 55 cents/2 tripled to $1.65. Final: 2 packages for FREE (did this twice--four packages for free)

--Frank's Red Hot: $1.29. Coupon for 50 cents tripled to $1.50. Final: FREE

--Uncle Ben's Long Grain Rice: $2.29. Coupon for 75 cents tripled $2.25. Final: 4 cents did it twice over.

--French's Mustard: Normal $1.55. Coupon for 50 cents tripled to $1.50. Final: 5 cents

--Crisco 32oz Oil: Regular: $4.39 Sale BOGO. Coupon for 55 cents tripled to $1.65. Final: 55 cents (done twice)